Monday, June 16, 2014

EVALUATION


EVALUATION

 
My intentions for this project were to show how digital media can enrich the possibilities of experimentation and also how sometimes digital media can be more favourable over traditional techniques. Like the brief required, I was to create a final piece, an image constructed purely out of words and with the help of my experiments and research, show how digital typography/media really helps when experimenting and how it gives you much more flexibility than traditional media and techniques would. My plan for my final print was to create an image out of typography which also has strong contextual information behind it that also has a presentable and interesting aspect to the eye of the viewer and I believe I successfully did that as my final piece has good aesthetics and the contextual information is really clear as the words and the shape they create link together perfectly.

 

One of the three artists I researched is Mary Kate McDevitt, and most of her work is based on traditional media and techniques, but the thing that influenced me from her work is the aspect of it and the messy spontaneous aesthetics in the colors she uses. Another one of the artist that I investigated on is Craig Ward, and his work is more digital based involving different Photo shopped fonts and effects. From this research I attempted to combine both of their styles where my work will be made through the use of digital media and add Mary’s traditional look to some elements in the image. The 3rd artist I researched is Jamie Reid, and what I picked up from this research is the ability to show contextual information in my work as this aspect stands out mostly to me from his artwork.

 

Throughout this project, from beginning to the end, I perfected my skills in Photoshop and use of digital media and I also learned new techniques and ways to manipulate my work, which really helped me make my final piece as effective and impressive as I could. The knowledge that allowed me to complete this project was provided to me by my teacher and also a big part of it from my research which really influenced my work.

 

One thing about my final piece that I feel I succeeded in is the contextual information behind the design and how the text and the image it creates really go hand in hand to make the viewer think more about this piece and about the artists intentions. If I were to go back and work some more on this project, I would have wanted to make 2 or 3 more final pieces in this style so I had a greater range to choose from as my final piece, and that would have shown the process of thought and how I experimented with digital media all the way until the end of the project.

 

Overall I am happy with the final outcome of my typography project, and I believe that my final piece is effective and has a great impact on the viewer as the contextual information and the techniques and tools used go really well hand in hand to create the final piece presented in this blog.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment